Although the strategies and locations used to do this alter every year, marketers' objectives to boost their organic visibility appear to remain constant. The newly desirable position zero has been added to the previously sought-after spot of the first position on organic results in the most recent change in search engine optimization.
Are you wondering, what is this? In this article, we explain what position zero google search is, why marketers are competing for it, and how you can get it yourself. Read on.
What is Position Zero (P0)?
The data displayed by Google at the top of the search results is known as position zero. The featured snippet, also known as position zero, is exactly what it sounds like: a featured piece of material that responds to a search query.
Position 0 is presented differently and is positioned above the first search result. According to Google's explanation of highlighted snippets in search, it is unusual about a featured snippet is that it is improved to catch users' attention on the results page.
Different things can represent position zero:
- Paragraph: The most typical format is a 40–60 word block of text outlining the search query.
- List: A list of stages with bullets describing how to complete the search query.
- Table: It is a visual representation of data, such as a cup-to-ounce conversion table.
Why is position zero valuable?
At first, marketers argued that highlighted snippets would harm their traffic and cause users to stop visiting their websites. Stats are unaffected by position zero, though. In fact, it has been demonstrated that achieving position zero significantly increases KPIs like visits, click-throughs, and conversions.
In terms of SEO, 0 has replaced 1 as the new top position. Position zero is ideal for building brand authority in addition to increasing traffic and revenue. When your company offers the final word on a subject that speaks volumes about your brand. As voice search becomes more prevalent, the fact that position zero results are also used in voice search might greatly assist.
Type of position zero results
A zero-click search's outcome is determined by the search phrase. Zero-click search results are frequently brief and straightforward yet can encompass a substantial quantity of information.
Right now, there are six categories of google position zero search results:
The majority of zero-click search results that send people to websites are of this nature. Featured snippets include links to the original web pages, including blogs and news stories, where the information was found. Featured snippets often come in four different varieties.
- Short passages: These show up in question-based searches, such as how-tos and inquiries with the qualifiers "who," "why," and "what."
- List excerpts: These show up in queries that want lists with numbers or bullets.
- Table excerpts: These are shown as results content in a table.
- Snippets of video: These are displayed in video format together with other prominent samples of various kinds.
Expanded highlighted snippets called knowledge panels to show extra information, including supplementary images, map results, and pertinent content. The two are as follows:
- Brand knowledge panel: Displays details about the subpages of a relevant company website, including home, services, goods, location, contact information, and more.
- Local knowledge panel: Displays pertinent information on nearby places found through a location-based search.
When you type in a news-related search, Google will show the Top Stories SERP feature. How do you appear in the top stories?
The following recommendations from Neil Patel are for optimizing the news box:
- Create Original News Content
- At Least Two Short Tales Every Day
- Use Catchy, Keyword-Rich Headlines To Get Clicks
- Boost The Authority Of Your Blog And Domain
Position 0 may be claimed by an image box SERP. If the search query has a visual intent, it commonly emerges. For instance, if a user specifically requests to see an image by using the search term "best SEO tools image" followed by the word "pictures." In theory, optimizing for the picture box is simple:
- Make unique photos to go with your content.
- To clearly label the image, use the alt tags.
- By adding a keyword, the alt tag may be improved.
Position 0 is frequently claimed by videos in the top search results. For your video to be found, Google recommends the following video best practices:
- Make a distinct public page where the video is the main feature.
- Use the proper HTML tag.
- Send a sitemap for a video.
Good Content Always Wins SEO
Before we go into the details, keep in mind that good content always triumphs if you're annoyed by SEO's frequent modifications. Everyone fumbles whenever a tactic is changed or a new feature is introduced.
However, if you provide quality material, you won't need to worry as much. Yes, there could be some adjustments or reevaluations that need to be made, but in general, user-friendly, high-quality material will score well in search results.
Make updates to the most recent SEO changes, but don't worry about it.
How to Get Results in Position Zero?
Now that you are aware of the what and why of position zero, let us discuss how you can do that:
1. Locate Opportunities for Position Zero
Finding the proper possibilities is the first step in aiming to reach position 0. A highlighted snippet does not appear in every search result. Therefore, you should look for keyword phrases that already have highlighted snippets or that are good candidates for them.
Starting with how many keywords are on a page, you can easily score highly to reap benefits. Most highlighted snippets originate from results that are highly ranked (good content always wins).
2. Comprehensive Content Wins
The next step is to produce genuinely excellent content. There are no shortcuts for ranking other than high-quality content that benefits users when it comes to SEO success. This should be clear, however, the following advice could be useful:
- The longer, the better: You ought to aim for material that is at least 2,000 words long.
- Evergreen: It would be pointless to put in all this effort for something that would change next week. Select a subject that has some lasting power.
- Describe the subject: Go into detail and thoroughly investigate the subject from all angles. Don't assume someone has prior knowledge and give extensive explanations.
- Context is everything: Keep in mind that Google now utilizes latent semantic indexing (LSI), which means it is aware of the relationships between terms. Therefore, stuffing the material with your keyword term is no longer beneficial. Use parallelism and synonyms to demonstrate your grasp of the subject.
- Snippet bait: The most crucial step is to produce the information that should ideally make up the featured snippet. Choose one of the typical kinds (paragraph, list, or table), then use your chosen SEO keyword research and strategy service to immediately respond to the query.
3. Publish With Effective On-Site SEO
Make sure the remainder of your page is search engine optimized in addition to the content. That implies:
- Use your targeted keywords in the page names and meta-descriptions.
- Use H1 to H5 tags appropriately to correctly organize your material so that search engines can understand it in addition to helping visually.
- Useful (but not keyword-stuffed) alt tags should be provided for photos.
- Make sure to include connections to other useful content.
4. Do not miss Off-Site SEO
Social media marketing and link development are the two main factors here. You desire external links to your work.
Using your network of professional contacts is the most effective SEO strategy to do this. Request links to your stuff from others. Good content always prevails in this situation because people like linking to it.
It can sometimes be as simple as providing relevant material at the appropriate time. For instance, if you are a guest on a podcast and you discuss a crucial issue, you may subsequently suggest that the presenter include a link to your article on that crucial issue to provide listeners with more in-depth information.
Are highlighted snippets crucial to improving organic search results and traffic?
Featured snippets are crucial to your SEO strategy since they have a good possibility of stealing traffic from even the content that ranks first. Approximately 8% of traffic, according to research from Search Engine Land, is directed to highlighted snippets.
Additionally, when you are displayed at position zero, the searcher may find your content to be somewhat helpful. As a result, there is a good likelihood that your CTR will significantly rise. Also, since position zero offers so much visibility, marketers adore it.
The difficulty of SEO is well known. And you don't want to exert all of that work for relatively little visibility and click-through. Although ranking high on the first page is a wise move, the first five blogs receive the majority of visitors. Therefore, the greatest tactic to combat this SEO competition on the SERP results may be to optimize your content to be featured as the featured snippet.
How Can You Reach Rank 0?
Position 0 ranking is equivalent to the first-page ranking. It could even be a requirement. Google has a 99.58 percent chance of choosing a result from the top 10 results for the position 0 position, according to Ahrefs research from 2017.
A result might have shown twice on the top page at the time of the investigation, on both the featured snippet and among the traditional results. Highlighted snippet results don't reappear on the page after Google's decision to deduplicate featured snippets on January 22nd, 2020.
Usually, Position 0 effectively changes to position 1 after the deduplication. In light of this, how can you improve your chances of being listed in position 0?
Here are the major steps which you can follow to achieve it:
Step 1: Don’t miss an opportunity to answer a potential question
Here, the advice is rather straightforward.
When discussing any subject, make sure to answer frequently asked questions. Think about adding questions inside the text or in a separate FAQ. The questions can be set up as follows:
- How to…with the list format
- What is…
- How do you…
- Which is…
- What are the…
If a query is significant, place it higher on the page so Google knows how significant it is. You don't always have to feed Google with a spoon. Without authoring question-style headers, you can automatically cover any possible queries.
However, if you are not sure where to look for questions, you can just follow these recommendations:
- Examining People Use the Zenbrief content brief tool for a done-for-you method.
- You can also use the Ask section for the target keyword or topic
- Use mine questions on forums or question and answer websites like Quora or Reddit
- Research competitor publications to identify questions answered in their material.
Additionally, you may receive ideas from a full-service digital marketing agency in India. It will assist you in creating your own articles by extracting the outline of competing articles and asking questions about a number of pertinent themes.
Step 2: Keep your formatting exciting in your eyes
Have the most thorough and current response possible. However, use judicious answer formatting. The first two to three lines should ideally address who, what, when, and why questions since a paragraph highlighted sample should be between 40 and 50 words in length (up to 300 characters).
Step 3: Prioritize short sections and lots of headers
Headlines provide context for a section for search engines like Google. Because of this, the page is simpler to comprehend and classify for the highlighted snippet or PAA.
When building a list, headers are quite important since they give hierarchy as well. By substituting brief paragraphs and sections for long text walls, you'll also greatly enhance the user experience. Users locate information more quickly in an article with several headers and brief sections, therefore this is the case.
As a general headline, there should be a header with every 250 words.
Step 4: Use original and appropriate images
A lot of highlighted snippets come with a picture.
It's also commonly known that having excellent photographs will improve your chances of showing up in image searches and results that are relevant to you.
Do you need to use stock photos?
There are, after all, better than none. However, original pictures can be superior. You will be competing with individuals who are utilizing the same image if you use stock photos, so pay close attention to the optimization. To go along with your content, you may create creative infographics and visuals. Google also enjoys them.
Step 5: Optimize for long-tail keywords
A search query having four or more words is referred to as a long-tail keyword. Unlike short-tail keywords, which may have conflicting intentions, such as "Dog sneezing vs. Why does my dog sneeze more in summer," it generates extremely targeted search results.
Targeting a long-tail keyword increases your likelihood of appearing in a featured snippet, especially in markets with little competition. By attracting the proper searcher, long-tail and low-hanging fruit keywords' specificity boosts conversion value.
Step 6: Follow other great SEO recommendations
Being displayed in position 0 is equivalent to securing the top spot on Google. Yes, it is important to reiterate.
It requires some work and optimal page quality maintenance to appear on page 1. Tested advice like the following might be useful:
- Instead of focusing on just one core keyword, conduct keyword research to uncover similar keywords to target.
- Use internal links to raise the topical authority of the page and external links from reliable sites to support your assertions.
- Consider updating, expanding, adding images to, or otherwise enhancing material that currently ranks for keywords on Google;
- Create a profile of natural links for your backlinks. Instead of focusing on the number of links, consider their quality.
- Offer the best content possible so that it fulfills searchers' needs and encourages other webmasters to connect to your pages.
Even if it seems like a lot of work, it will be worthwhile. To automate keyword research, keyword optimization, and the discovery of pertinent internal and external links, you can seek the assistance of a professional SEO agency in India.
How to Identify Position Zero Opportunities
An excellent strategy to increase the number of visitors to your website is to secure a featured snippet chance. Opportunities can be found primarily in two ways:
Strategy 1: Replace an existing featured snippet
A page with a featured snippet already on it can be changed. Start by investigating pages that have highlighted snippets that compete.
Next, you need to place the query:
- Is the page current?
- Is the response complete?
- Is it inaccurate in any way?
- How many domains are pointing to this page?
If the response has any flaws, you can replace it with one that is more thorough, accurate, and current. It would be best if you considered that Google continually evaluates other solutions and is solely concerned with offering the best result.
Other approaches to enhance the page include gaining more backlinks and including additional photos. You may focus on searches where your pages are in the top 10 results for the greatest optimization outcomes. These inquiries may be found with the use of Google Search Console.
Strategy 2: Start ranking for an entirely new snippet
Google chooses the searches for which it thinks a featured snippet should be displayed. Although you have no control over this choice, understanding how it is made will help you improve your odds.
Google initially decides if the query is a question. The best response is then displayed after it programmatically finds all the pages that provide an answer to the query and assesses their quality.
About 12 percent of the 112 million keywords examined in an Aherfs analysis had a highlighted snippet. You can better prepare if you can identify the 78 percent of possible outcomes. You might use a keyword tool that informs you whether a specific term has a highlighted SERP. As you create fresh material, you may then correctly optimize your pages.
Search results are dominated by featured snippets, and about 8% of direct traffic is sent to pages with rich snippets. You get to rank higher than the article at the top spot once your page receives a highlighted snippet. This exposure is great for immediately addressing the audience's question.
You can even use Semrush to identify Google snippet prospects and discover which rivals have achieved a rich snippet. Consider including relevant questions and answers on your blog. But be careful to keep the replies between 40 and 60 words. Getting your content to appear on the first page of SERP results is the first step in obtaining a rich snippet. Therefore, be sure to adhere to all search engine optimization best practices with a full on-page SEO optimization service.